Close

Renal Impairment and High Protein Diets

Posted: 7 years ago Quote #36
The majority of the Burns foods are suitable for cases of Renal impairment. If you are currently feeding HILLS c/d or Royal Canin Urinary you really should check out the Burns information - Burns Alternative Selector

During my investigations I have come across a couple of very informative documents regarding the apparent misconception that dogs with renal impairment should be fed a low protein diet. One of these specifically relates to the training and information provided to veterinarians regarding this subject.

Before you go further please note that I only include the first link because it is a paper by a recognised and trained veterinarian from a large veterinary medicine school. I am not qualified to make any recommendations based on it.

Click on the links to read the articles:-
Mythology of Protein Restriction for Dogs with Reduced Renal Function by Kenneth C.Bovée, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
The Biologically Appropriate Food Concept and the Dietary Needs of Dogs and Cats by Champion Pet Foods inc.
If you are tempted to try the Champion Pet Foods I suggest that you first investigate the costs of our Applaws dry food.
Posted: 5 months ago Quote #139
Just updated to add a link to several papers that relate:-
http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidneyprotein.html